Why Berea Academy

Limitations of Humanistic Theology

At Sungrak Church, “the Picture of God’s Will” is a phrase heard everywhere. The Picture of God’s Will is the center of the faith of the congregation at Sungrak Church. Many Christians today try to use God to fulfill their own will instead of devoting themselves to fulfilling the will of God in their lives. These types of people forsake their faith when things appear to be going against their own will. They say that believing in God does not profit them in life. These people fail to understand the reason why God created the heavens and the earth, why God sent Jesus Christ to the world, why God sent the Holy Spirit to the saints, and what God desires from each of the saints.
The fact that Christians these days are overly self-centered and filled with humanistic theology in their spiritual lives is no surprise considering that Christian doctrines during the Reformation were developed with the sole focus on the salvation of man. During the Reformation, the question that the reformers asked themselves was ‘How does man receive salvation?’ Right before the Reformation, the Catholic Church was very much out of touch with the Biblical truth that they sold indulgences to people as a ticket to heaven. Under this circumstance, the proposition that the reformers were most interested in was ‘Salvation comes only by faith.’ The theologies and doctrines of the reformists are inherently limited to the proposition of the salvation of man since they think of themselves as people who came out of Roman Catholicism. 
Five hundred years after the Reformation, Christian churches today are still limited by humanistic theology when it comes to understanding the will of God. To modern day Christians, God is ‘God who loves us’. We are the reason why God created heaven and earth, we are the reason why God sent Jesus to this world, and we are the reason why God exists. The sad fact that modern day Christians are at this level of spirituality even after 2,000 years has passed since the coming of Christ, is like a thirty year-old still asking for milk instead of solid food.
I John 2:12-13 says, “I am writing to you, little children, because your sins have been forgiven you for His name’s sake. I am writing to you, fathers, because you know Him who has been from the beginning. I am writing to you young men, because you have overcome the evil one. I have written to you, children, because you know the Father.” The faith of a child is concerned with the atonement of sins and salvation; the faith of young men is concerned with the will of God for Jesus to come in the flesh to destroy the Devil and how they could partake in that work; and the faith of adults desires to know God more and how they could partake in the works of God. The Christian church should not be like a child anymore, and instead be like young men who fight against the enemy, with the faith to know and serve God.

Berea Academy

The reason Sungrak Church emphasizes the annihilation of the devil and devotion to God is because we understand the will of God deeply. The Bible reveals the will of God. However, though people read the Bible today, they fail to understand the will of God because they don’t know how to read the word of God. When you need to see a distant object, you need binoculars. When you need to see microscopic objects, you need a microscope. Similarly, you need the proper lens to view the Bible. Berea Academy established by Pastor Ki-dong Kim in 1976 is a Bible teaching institute which prescribes the precise lenses to view the Bible and the will of God.
The faith of the Bereans in Acts 17:11-12 is the model of Berea Academy. The people of Berea daily examined the Bible in order to see if Jesus whom Paul preached about is the Christ prophesied in the Bible, and as a result, gained faith through the Scriptures. The noble attitude and mind displayed by the Bereans can serve as a mirror – to reflect oneself and repent – for those judging and blaspheming with human measurement when people believe and obey according to the Bible.
Berea Academy is made up of 52 lectures which are taught during four semesters in the period of two years. The four semesters cover the topics respectively: The Proper Lens to View the Bible, The Picture of God’s Will, and The Mediations of the Gospel. There are several common factors among people who came to know God’s will through Berea Academy. First, they see the reality of the spiritual realm. Second, they are able to willingly dedicate their lives for the fulfillment of God’s will. Third, from the single book of the Bible, they can testify the word of truth based on the Picture of God’s Will abundantly like an unceasing waterfall. Fourth, the signs and wonders promised by Jesus are manifested through them. Isn’t this what pastors desire in their ministry?

The Equal Right to the Endowment of Power

The reason why Berea Movement was able to spread globally today, despite the persecution and misconceptions, is because signs and powers of the Holy Spirit have universally accompanied the people who understood God’s will. Berea Movement profess the universal anointing of power. The signs and wonders that accompanied the early churches can still be manifested through saints today. Power is not reserved specifically for somuon, but anyone who knows and obeys the Picture of God’s Will can use this God-promised power. There have been many workers of God in history. Some manifested astounding signs and healing power. People were astonished by them and followed them. However, what happened after they passed away? People had to wait until the next powerful man of God came along. Berea Movement proclaims that anyone who believes and obeys the Bible can become a powerful servant of God. And through Bereans from all over the world, this proclamation is proven true every day.

Following is a letter from a pastor who realized the reality of the spiritual world after reading Pastor Kim’s books.

“After reading the book What are Demons, my eyes opened to the spiritual world. This has been the turning point of my faith life. I am a Sunday School teacher. I was afflicted by the devil for over ten years. Though I had some Biblical knowledge, I did not know about demons, or about the truth, or have any experience of driving out demons. Although I realize that I and all other Christians around me have been white washed by religious dogma living under the suppression of the devil, I did not know how to change the situation. However, after reading the book, power and faith began to grow rapidly inside me. One particular time, when I caught a cold, I drove out the demon and became well; when my daughter developed a lump on her body, I rebuked the demon and it disappeared a couple of days later. As I was especially curious about the healing ministry and couldn’t find much resources, I have received ample amount of resources on many other aspects of ministry in addition to it, and evidently, this enabled me to edify more and more souls here. All the more I am deeply indebted to Sungrak church. There are about three hundred thousand believers here, and they are absolutely ignorant in terms of demons, let alone, driving out demons. With an abundant gratefulness, I earnestly seek your help and support. Hallelujah! Praise the Lord!” 
From Sister L. January 4th 2010

“Let me first thank the Lord! We held Resurrection Praise Worship today at our church. Today, my co-workers and I prayed for the sick relying on the power of the Holy Spirit. As we prayed for them, signs and healing powers manifested and people were healed. People with arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, heart problems, headaches, and other sicknesses were healed in Jesus name. Though it was a small number of people, this was the first time that anything like this has happened at our church. The lady who suffered rheumatoid arthritis used to be helped by her husband to come to church, but she was completely healed during the worship. She was jumping up and down as she gave her testimony. We witnessed the love of God abundantly that day. He really loves us! Hallelujah!  
Once again we want to thank Pastor Kim. It is on behalf of those books that we could come to know about the Holy Spirit. I also wish to thank all the helpers of our ministry here. I’m sorry that I can’t remember all your names, but God bless you all. And also, the girl that was oppressed in the last letter is now fully healed. Thank you for your prayers and once again, thank you all. Immanuel!” 
 From Brother W. on April 4th 2010

By reading Pastor Kim’s books, people gain faith and by practicing their faith, they experience the powers promised in the Bible all over the world: the news about these workers are heard from everywhere. Though they have never met Pastor Kim, through his books, they realize about the spiritual world, gain faith, and share the same experience with him. One’s personal experience can become universal when principles behind those experiences are revealed, and if the principles are true, whoever applies these principles will arrive at the same result. This is universalization. Berea Movement emphasize on the universal endowment of God’s power. It means anyone who knows the principles can have the power of God. And the principle is: The Picture of God’s Will.

Raising Leaders

When Pastor Ki-dong Kim goes overseas to teach spiritual leaders, he always teaches them about the will of God from the Bible. As Pastor Kim has been manifesting Christ’s signs and healing power for decades of years, there is the difference between him and other evangelists who also heals and manifest signs: he focuses on teaching the Bible. Those who focus on power tend to provide rather limited level of Bible teaching, while those who focus on teaching the Bible lack power. With that being said, it is notable that Pastor Kim enables people to possess the power and authority through teaching the Bible.
Some churches invite world-famous evangelists as the speaker of their huge annual rally. Numberless Christians would attend the rally and receive grace. However, a rally can only ignite fire for a time; it cannot bring about a fundamental change. Their heart returns to normal: coldness. The only way to ignite their heart again is to invite another famous speaker again. This incurs major periodical rallies with well-known speakers here and there.   
Pastor Ki-dong Kim was invited to speak at a place like that once. They wanted to hold a massive assembly. However, Pastor Kim insisted on a small gathering of less than 100 people for he wanted to influence fundamental changes to the spiritual leaders instead of what they asked for. After the meeting, one of the pastors commented:

“We had assemblies in the past with world famous speakers and pastors at our city. When we invited Pastor Kim, we just thought of him as one of the pastors that had come before. However, we no longer think that way. When other pastors came, we thought that they were powerful. However, after they had left, we found ourselves still spiritually weak and powerless. As a result, we had to call another guest speaker. If someone was sick, he was to wait until the next rally. However, everything changed when Pastor Kim came. He taught us how to catch the fish instead of feeding us the fish. Through Pastor Kim, we realized that the Bible speaks of the spiritual reality and what kinds of power Christians are to have.
More astoundingly we realized that power is not just for Pastor Kim. The entire mission team members that came with him also drove out demons and healed the sick! As we witnessed even his cameraman manifesting God’s power, we could clearly understand what he meant by the equal endowment of God’s power for all believers. There were even more amazing things waiting for us after they left. The power, we longed to have, began to manifest through the people who attended the rally. Now, instead of waiting for the next rally, we pray for the sick with the power Jesus Christ gave us.

Below are the letters of testimony from the people who graduated from Berea Academy.

As I learned Berea Academy, I realized how arrogant, foolish, and so ignorant I was about spiritual things and of God’s will. Berea Academy took me to a new spiritual level that I had never experienced. I saw the works of God and His mighty power at work. I witnessed His revelations and plan with my own eyes. And at the same time saw the problems and corruption of the modern day churches.
The things I learned from Berea Academy in a single month is much more than what I learned over seven years at our local church. This is the sad reality of the churches today. Ignorant religious life and false teachings are leading people toward mysticism, ignorance, and hypocrisy.
I truly know that Berea is the vessel of God that this generation needs, and is the backbone to the return to the Word movement. Berea is already giving new hope to the churches around the world. That is why all of us at our church desire to spread the name of God and thus be part of the Berea Movement.
How can I express the joy that comes from Berea? I desire to spread the message of God’s will to the Christians around me. I want to make them into a righteous servants and children that please Him. Please pray for me and my ministry. My Soul, be His servant! My family, be His servants! My household, be His servants! Let’s be the witnesses of His name!


The most notable matter I realized from Lecture two—The Bible Contains God’s Word—is that God’s word is nothing like the word of man. I first heard about the ‘Big Bang Theory’ from a school teacher when I was young. The theory stayed as a mystery in my mind until I learned this chapter and realized that God’s word is commands. On His command, the universe and the environment where people can live were created. I can clearly see the Bible after learning the Proper lens to view the Bible. How beautiful the moment must have been when God commanded to create our environment! “God saw all that he had made, and it was very good” (Gen 1:10,12,18,21,25,31). The passages show the fullness of God’s joy, and the joy is ours as well.
Before I studied Berea Academy, I ministered or evangelized based on my personal experience and testimonies. And the outcome was trivial. Nevertheless, after I learned that the Gospel is about Jesus, I began to testify about Jesus mainly, and the result was somewhat different. In China are many Christian teachings but rarely the truth. My sermons are comprised of Jesus that even if a person had only one chance to hear it, he would surely remember Jesus. My used-to-be-dry-sermons turned into influential messages. The Lord is always with me, and the Spirit is always at work that I became a fisher of men.

While I was taking the course, I learned more comprehensively about the Berea Movement. We are the guardians of the Truth, the guardians of the Truth Movement. The Berea Movement emphasizes on laymen’s freedom of interpretation of the Bible, freedom of manifestation of God’s power and signs. I realized that the saints who abide in Jesus manifest power and signs of God. I would definitely choose to be persecuted for evangelizing with God’s power and signs than not be persecuted and powerless. The turbulence in this world is nil compared to the eternal glory in heaven.  
Through Berea Academy, I realized that biblical exegesis or commentary based on doctrines paralyzes believers’ faith life. I used live under doctrines: I used to work as an editor of biblical exegesis, led revival crusades using biblical commentary. It did not take long until my church became powerless and without fruit. I give thanks to God who saved me by the truth. Also I repent my previous way of life.
“Lord! Let your power and signs accompany me! Lord, rule over me and help me. Let me be your good and faithful servant! Manifest your power through me!” I give thanks, praise, and glory to God!

Referenced from, Why Berea Academy

Composed and Written by Pastor Ki-Taek Lee

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bear the Suffering Along with the Name of Berea_Issue 4